Saturday, April 26, 2014

It's a Matter of Your Own Faith

Greg Kinnear plays Pastor Todd Burpo in the movie adaptation of the book
"Heaven is for Real". Entertainment Weekly
(Warning: Some spoilers inside, so read at your own risk.)

When I watched "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" last month, I bumped at the full trailer of a movie entitled "Heaven is for Real". After watching the trailer, I said to myself, "I want to watch this movie." Good thing PLDT Home gave me a post-birthday gift as I and three other bloggers got a chance to watch HIFR at the Newport Cinema in Pasay City.

Greg Kinnear starred the film based on the Todd Burpo bestseller of the same title. The movie started with Todd (Kinnear) having a day in the office as a church pastor, wrestling coach, a volunteer firefighter, and a businessman. The movie continued with him, his family, and his church doing fine in their lives. The story took a twist, however, when Todd's son Colton (Colton Corum) got sick badly. Colton eventually recovered, but he told his dad that he saw Heaven, Jesus Christ, and even his sister who Todd and Sonja (Kelly Reilly) lost during pregnancy and his great grandfather, who died 30 years prior to his birth, while getting treated. That led to a series of events that tested Todd's family and even his church. In the end, he realized that indeed Heaven is for real. He preached that in the final scene, and many got moved with the message. The clincher was a statement of the psychologist portrayed by Nancy Sorel: "It's a matter of your own faith."

That's where the Lord moved me. As seen in the screen adaptation, even church leaders like Todd Burpo argue to the Lord about what's happening, especially when their kids tell them that they were in Heaven. But again, it's your faith in God that matters. God spoke to Todd through Colton, and the pastor responded.

However, I noticed that despite being a Christian movie, Tristar Pictures seemed to make it more secular in approach by minimizing the Scriptures used in the movie. While it may help in gaining audience, I think it also shrunk the point of the movie. That led me, though, to look for the "Heaven is for Real" book. Still, I would recommend "Heaven is for Real" movie to my pastor friends.

"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.... By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible. (Hebrews 11:1, 3 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment